Rotary District 9685 Rotary Global Grant Scholarship in 2017
Invitation to a young person interested in international postgraduate study to apply for a Rotary District 9685 Global Grant Scholarship
The purpose of the Global Grant Scholarship program is to support international study at post graduate level.
Rotary District 9685 supports the Global Grant Scholarship Program of The Rotary Foundation and will offer one Global Grant Scholarship in 2017. This scholarship program is funded by a District 9685 grant of US$15,000 which is matched by the Rotary Foundation providing a scholarship to the total value of US$30,000.
Rotary District 9685 extends from the Blue Mountains to the Sea north of Sydney Harbour, reaching across the Hawkesbury River and north to Toukley on the Central Coast. Within its boundaries are the business districts of North Sydney, Chatswood, Gosford, Penrith, and the Ryde industrial area.
For a description of the boundaries and a listing of the 74 Rotary Clubs in Rotary District 9685 go to this page at rotarydistrict9685.org.au.
Applications are invited from candidates who work or live within District 9685. The scholarship is awarded through a globally competitive process. Relevant details include:
- The scholarship will be for an amount from US$30,000.
- The scholarship must be aligned to one or more Rotary’s six areas of focus.
- The Scholarship must be for overseas study at a post-graduate level at a recognised university or institution.
- The Scholar must provide confirmation of admission to his/her selected university or institution.
- The period of study may be used to contribute towards gaining a higher degree or qualification.
- The applicant must not have commenced the proposed year of study at his/her selected university or institution prior to applying for the scholarship.
- The applicant must be proficient in the language of instruction of the host country.
During the course of study Scholars are expected to interact with local Rotarians and Rotary clubs and should always be mindful that they serve in the role of ambassadors of District 9685 and Rotary to the community where they will be studying.
(Full details are in the download information)
We are seeking candidates with the following attributes:
- A proven record of success in his/her academic field or vocation.
- Commitment to a career in one of Rotary’s six areas of focus.
- Demonstrated personal commitment to community service.
- Personal qualities to be a good ambassador for Rotary and Australia.
- Excellent leadership skills and potential.
- Well-defined and realistic goals.
- Concrete ideas for advancing within his/her chosen field.
- Commitment to participate in Rotary activities.
- Sincerity about maintaining a lifelong relationship with Rotary after the scholarship period.
The Applicant cannot be: (1) a Rotarian; (2) an employee of a club, district, or other Rotary entity, or of Rotary International; (3) the spouse, a lineal descendant (child or grandchild by blood or stepchild, legally adopted or not), the spouse of a lineal descendant, or an ancestor (parent or grandparent by blood) of any person in the foregoing two categories.
Scholarship Application Process & Timeline
Scholar Applicants must be sponsored by a Rotary Club in District 9685. Applications forms are available online and should be submitted to the local Rotary Club in January – March 2017. The Club will assess the applicant’s suitability based on interview, the completed application form and referees’ reports. Nominations from the Rotary Clubs must be forwarded to the District 9685 Scholarship Committee by 31st March 2017. District interviews and selection will be held in April 2017. The selected candidate and his/her Sponsor Clubs will be notified of the District 9685 decision in May 2016. The District Scholarship Committee will proceed with the on-line grant application process of The Rotary Foundation together with the selected Applicant in May 2017. Please note that the final decision in the selection of the District 9685 Global Grant Scholar is by The Rotary Foundation. An early decision is expected to allow the student to depart at the beginning of August 2017.
Closing Date for Applications
Applications must be received by Pam Pritchard, Chair of District 9685 Global Grant Scholar Committee, by 31 March, 2017 to 5 Kapunda Pl, Belrose 2085.